VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a network technology that allows one or more computers to be connected in a virtual private network, through a public network such as the Internet, without the need for the computers to be physically connected or in the same place.
Companies widely use it to allow their employees to connect from anywhere to the corporate network. They can access corporate resources that they would not be able to without. However, this is only one of the things you can do with a VPN.
Table of Contents
Types of VPN Networks
Mainly, there are two types of VPN networks, depending on what they are based on:
Allows a user to attach to a remote network through an application, a username and a password, creating an encrypted channel between the computer and the web to carry out secure data exchange.
Allows you to connect to different networks through the Internet. Companies use this type of VPN network with offices in different geographical locations to connect them all and share information securely.
What is a VPN Network For?
Allowing access to a company network from anywhere is not secure since, through an open WiFi network, the access password could be captured, giving access to anyone. If the worker connects through a VPN, the connection can encrypted, and they will have access to the same information as if they were in the company.
Fake your Location
When you connect through a VPN network, your device communicates with this server and the latter with the Internet, so your IP will have the location of your VPN server as its location. With a VPN network, you will be able to access content that is only available in a particular country or censored in the country you are in (many users in China use a VPN connection to connect to Facebook).
Add an Extra Layer of Security
Suppose you want to connect to a public Wi-Fi network. In that case, this is an excellent solution since it gives you security so that anyone connected to that same network cannot access your private data as long as you choose a suitable server for your VPN. It is a good security measure to avoid falling for some type of scam on the Internet .
Avoid Restrictions of your ISP
Many service providers control traffic to specific web pages or services, such as YouTube. In this way, they know the sites you visit. Through a VPN, this data will be encrypted, and they will not be able to obtain that information.
What are the Advantages of Using a VPN
- You can use it from anywhere and on any device connected to the Internet.
- It is a secure and private way to send data or browse the Internet.
- They’re easy to use, and once set up, you can quickly connect and disconnect.
- You can access your work network from anywhere and safely.
- It provides security to your connections through public Wi-Fi networks.
- It allows you to bypass Internet censorship (in some countries, some social networks are censored, but you can access them).
- You can enter sites from other geographical locations (before Netflix Spain was created, many people used this network to connect to Netflix USA and be able to watch series and movies through this platform).
What are the Disadvantages of Using a VPN
- There are free services, but some track their users for usage and browsing statistics. That they can sell to third parties. If you want to guarantee your security and privacy, it is better to use a paid VPN.
- Since all the data we send and receive is encrypt, the connection slows down.
- They can’t always spoof your location, mainly if you use it on your mobile.
- Your security is not foolproof; it adds an extra layer of protection.
How the VPN Connection Works
When you usually connect to the Internet, you first connect to an Internet Service Provider or ISP. Which links you to whatever website you want to visit, passing through your ISP servers and being seen by your ISP.
When you do it through this connection, you connect through a VPN server with an encrypt connection. So the data you send will not be able to seen by your ISP (since that information is encrypt), and it will appear that it is the VPN server the one connect to those sites, not your device.
How to Set Up a VPN
The first thing you will need is to have a VPN client and its access data (the server’s IP address, the type of encryption it uses, and your username and password).
How to Set Up a VPN on iOS
To configure this on iOS, we must access our Settings and enter the General section. Going down between the different options, we will find the VPN one. There we can add a this configuration by adding all the service data that we have selected.
Once we have saved the configuration, it will appear in the list of available Wi-Fi networks
How to Set Up a VPN on Android
This configuration may vary a bit depending on the version of Android you have installed. Still, you must access your device’s Settings, open the Wireless connections and networks section (or something similar, depending on your software) and select the More or Others option. so that all the options appear.
In that section, you will find the VPN option, and you must click on the + that appears in the upper right corner to add a VPN profile. A window will open in which you must fill in the details of your VPN service, and once saved; it will appear in your list of Wi-Fi networks.
A virtual private network extends a private network across a public network. It enables users to send and also receive data across shared or public networks as if their computing devices were directly connect to the private network.